Friday, September 30, 2011
Glow in the Dark Millipede
The artice, Glow-In-The-Dark Millipede Says 'Stay Away', was very surprising to me because it does not seem to make sense that a millipede would use bioluminescence as a defense. This makes an insect easier to see in the dark by predators. Most other animals that I have heard of, such as camelions, use their colors to blend in with their surroundings so that predators cannot see them. This seems like a more effective defense. I think that the scientists that conducted the experiment may not be valuing one aspect of the millipede's defense, that "When they are disturbed, they ooze toxic cyanide and other foul-tasting chemicals from small pores running along the sides of their bodies as a defense mechanism." This seems like a more effective defense than glowing in the dark. I think that this may have had something to do with the fact that more of the Motyxia millipedes were attacked than the other millipedes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment